Sunday, January 17, 2010

Top 10 Songs of 2009

Okay, so I am definitely stealing this idea from Kyle's blog, but I have spoken with him and it's fine. Here lies the list of my favorite songs of 2009 - most of them will not be songs that were released in 2009.
Oh wait. First I just want to properly introduce this list. Alright, so last year is generally dominated in my memory by the last 4 or so months, which were preoccupied by Radical Journey. Many of these songs will be closely linked to RJ because of that, but some of them will dare to be different. Some of them dare to dream big dreams.
Okay. Here we go:

10. "Nikita" by Elton John. This is a "dream-big" type of song. We listened to a lot of Elton John when I worked at Atwater's bakery (thanks to my coworker Mary) and, although this is not my favorite Elton John song, it is the one that sticks out most in my memories of that place. Mostly because Mary made me watch the music video of it after we got off work at like 1 AM.
9. "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC. Had to put AC/DC in here; after all, I listened to them a good deal in 2009.
8. "Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse. I went through an Amy Winehouse phase last summer that lasted...pretty much the whole summer. And I think this is my favorite of her songs.
7. "Two of Us" by The Beatles. No Top 10 list is complete without The Beatles, and I spent a good portion of 2009 either thinking about traveling or actually traveling...and this song reminds me of road trips every time I listen to it. So there you go.
6. "Why Can't We Be Friends?" by War. This song was sort of Anna's and my unofficial song. I used to break out into it at random times, and Anna would say "But we are friends!" And indeed, we are.
5. "All She Wants to Do Is Dance" by Don Henley. I LOVE this song! I went through a phase with it that lasted...forever. I still am in that phase. I still, miraculously, have not killed it for myself. So. Yeah.
4. "Build Me Up Buttercup" by The Foundations. This goes back to RJ orientation when I used to listen to it nearly every day, and continues into our time in South Africa when I would still sometimes listen to it every day. It's a lovely song.
3. "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by The Hit Crew. This song is actually by Rupert Holmes, but the version I have was cheaper on iTunes and is still awesome. Nothing like the Pina Colada Song to brighten up any day - even if it's already very very bright.
2. "Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson. This is a delightful little melody :). I think it is our unofficial/official RJ South Africa song, mainly due to the fact that Kyle likes to play the first little bit on the guitar and that gets us all singing it for the rest of the day.
1. "Drops of Jupiter" by Train. Unfortunately, I did not listend to this song nearly as much as I should have last year. But it is my all-time favorite song, so it makes the list even if I never listen to it ever again (which I dearly hope will not happen).

1 comment: