Thursday, November 19, 2009

ohhh rain...


Rain, rain, go away, go away and die.

That is how I feel.

Yesterday the sun teased us for a few hours in the morning. I woke up to a blue sky and couldn’t help but smile and think Ooo, hello sun! Thank you for coming out! And then Anna did laundry, and the wet clothes scared the sun away. By 11 o’clock it was cloudy. And then the inevitable rain appeared.

Today Anna and I had ESL and we were late. Neither of us could bear to step off the porch into the downpour, even though the walk to the children’s church building (where we hold our lessons) is only about a minute long.

On days like today I just want to go back to bed. I don’t understand why South Africa, which I have always heard is so beautiful, has trapped me in a deluge of water and cold weather. I spend my time outside looking down at puddles, trying my best to avoid them, and all I can think about is how cold I am. Even at home, as we huddle in the kitchen around cups of tea and hope for the oven to warm the room, half of our conversation is about how cold we are.

When people ask us how we like South Africa, we say “It’s too cold.” And boy, do we mean it.


On a completely separate note, I want to just say that The Celebration of the Wiebe was awesome, and I want to do it again. We spent three days (Sunday the 15th through Tuesday the 17th) celebrating Awesome Gabby’s birthday. We had some delicious desserts, went to the movies (quick note: Law Abiding Citizen is awful), partied like rock stars, and had a generally delightful time. I also made her a giant birthday card, complete with “A [Fourth] Birthday Comic”. Making cards is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to do, and celebrating birthdays (as long as I get to make cake!) is always awesome. So maybe if we can just keep busy with celebrations – December 8th, the Celebration of the McKinney, is right around the corner – things here won’t be so bad. Hey, I can dream.

1 comment: