Thursday, October 1, 2009

gospel music

Today a couple from the church, Malcolm and Lindle, came over and brought us dinner. It was a really fun time - they are a younger couple, in their twenties, and they are full of fun and all that jazz. But the evening also gave me some food for thought.
After dinner we sat in the living room and listened to music and played a game called "30 Seconds," which is basically Taboo with a board. At first we listened to my iPod, which is predominantly filled with secular music - we heard some Queen, some Stevie Wonder, some Aerosmith, some Sixpence None the Richer. Lindle commented that our pastor would not approve of it because it isn't "gospel," which is what they call all Christian music here, and that made me feel so sad. I felt sad because I really really love music, and I really really love my music - not because I don't want to glorify God, but because it sounds good and makes me happy! I actually struggle with a lot of Christian music because it seems to underachieve musically. It doesn't make me want to dance or sing, because I don't like the way it sounds.
I don't know what exactly to do or think about this. Music is very important to me. I'm certainly not saying that I don't enjoy any Christian music (I do have some - admittedly only one album - on my iPod), but I just enjoy lots of secular music more. I can certainly understand not listening to music that is derogatory, or violent, or disgusting, but when I think of cutting all secular music out of my life I just get so sad.
I think that it's a balancing issue. I don't know. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment